Education: PhD Chemical Engineering / Bioengineering (2010)
University of South Carolina, Columbia SC
MS Environmental Engineering (1999)
University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez PR
BS Chemical Engineering, Cum Laude (1997)
University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez PR
• Strong communication skills as author, lecturer, and teacher.
• Excellent interpersonal, writing, verbal and research skills.
• Proficient user of word processors, spreads sheets, and graphics (AutoCAD)
• Fully bilingual (English and Spanish)
09/10-present University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez, PR
Position: Assistant Professor
• Teach undergraduate and graduate courses for environmental/chemical/civil engineers.
• Planned lectures and administered examinations.
• Provide professional advice and collaboration with colleagues in curriculum development and research for Bio-engineering and environmental engineering.
01/06-05/10 Dense Phase Fluids Lab, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Position: Research and Teaching Assistant
• Conduct and develop a novel technique for processing metallic biomaterials.
• In charge of safety and environmental matters in the research group.
• Design and supervise projects for undergraduate students and summer internships.
• Assist professors in lectures, laboratories and grading.
02/02-07/05 Pfizer Inc., Arecibo, PR (former Pharmacia Corp.)
Positions: Process Engineer II; Interim Supervisor (12/02-06/03); Acting Manager (04/04-07/04)
• Implemented and maintained compliance with Federal and local regulations (EPA, EQB, OSHA, cGMP), and corporate policies for the Chemical Warehouse operations.
• Implemented and monitored elements of the Process Safety Management regulation and applicable environmental regulations (RCRA, Water and Air) for the Chemical Warehouse operations.
• Provided support and assistance with HON LDAR program, MACT and SARA.
• Led and performed deviation investigation reports.
• Developed and reviseed SOP’s.
• Provided technical support for Engineering projects.
• Provided technical support for Chemical Plant processes, technology transfer, solvent recovery, and waste disposal.
10/00-12/01 Carlos E. Pacheco- Ingenieros Consultores,CSP, San Juan, PR
Position: Environmental Consultant Engineer.
• Project Manager for the design of the Expansion of San Sebastián Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• Preparation of Environmental Analysis.
• Back up for the supervision of wastewater treatment plant operations.
07/99-10/00 Lilly del Caribe Inc., Carolina, PR
Position: Environmental Technical Services Engineer.
• Assured plant compliance with federal, local, and corporate regulations and policies.
• Provided technical and regulatory support in environmental projects, such as: Ammonia Scrubber for the biochemical plant, Carbon Adsorber for alcohol recuperation, Odor Scrubber for the fermentation process, emergency electrical generators, and vacuum and filter bag selection for a capsule room.
• Preparation of SARA reports (311, 312, 313).
• Spill response.
• Back up for the Solid Waste Management (RCRA).
• Environmental Analysis preparation and Permits application.
• Workshop on Active and Cooperative Learning
• Process Safety Management
• Process Hazard Analysis Leader Training
• 40 hrs Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
• TapRoot Advanced Investigation Team Leader Course
• DOT-Hazardous Materials Transportation Training
• 40 hrs Seminar for wastewater treatment plant operators
• Anatomy and Physiology for Biomedical Engineers
• Membrane Separation Process
• Environmental Microbiology Engineering
• Fundamentals of Transport and Remediation in Subsurface Environments
• Fundamentals and Design for Air Pollution Control
• Hydrology Fundamentals
• Tarafa et al., Removing endotoxin from metallic biomaterials with compressed carbon dioxide-based mixtures, J. Supercrit. Fluids 55 (2011) 1052-1058.
• Tarafa PJ and Matthews MA, Phase equilibrium for surfactant Ls-54 in liquid CO2 with water and solubility estimation using the Peng-Robinson equation of state, Fluid Phase Equilibria 298 (2010) 212-218.
• Tarafa et al., Compressed carbon dioxide for decontamination of biomaterials and tissue scaffolds, J.Supercrit. Fluids 53 (2010) 192-199.
• Tarafa et al. Supercritical CO2 for disinfection and processing of biomaterials and tissue scaffolds. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids (2009).
• Tarafa P and Tang N. Leachate Recirculation within the Landfill. Hazardous and Industrial Wastes. Proceedings of the 32nd Mid-Atlantic Industrial and Hazardous Waste Conference (2000).
• Solubility of E. coli Endotoxins and Removal from Metallic Biomaterials Using Water-in-CO2 Microemulsions. 2010 American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT. November 11, 2010.
• Phase Equilibrium for Surfactant Ls-54 in Liquid CO2 with Water and Solubility Estimation. 2010 AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT. November 8, 2010.
• Removing Endotoxin from Metallic Biomaterials with Compressed CO2-Based Mixtures. Poster presented at the 2010 Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Seattle WA. April 21-24, 2010.
• Reverse Microemulsion System in Compressed CO2: Phase Behavior and Applications for Cleaning Biomaterials. PhD Dissertation Defense, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC. March 25, 2010.
• Processing Endotoxin-Contaminated Metallic Biomaterials with Compressed CO2-Based Mixtures. Poster presented at the 2009 South Carolina Bioengineering Symposium, Columbia SC. April 14-15 2009.
• Liquid and Supercritical CO2 for Decontamination of Biomedical Materials. 2008 American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. November 21, 2008.
• Processing of Contaminated Metal Surfaces with Compressed CO2: Applications to Medical Biomaterials. Poster presented at the 2008 SEAGEP Annual Conference, Gainesville FL. May 2008.
• Processing of Contaminated Metal Surfaces with Compressed CO2: Applications to Medical Biomaterials. Poster presented at the 2008 Graduate Student Symposium, Columbia SC. March 2008
• Processing of Contaminated Metal Surfaces with Compressed CO2: Biomedical Applications. Poster presented at the AIChE 2007 Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City UT. November 2007.
• Removal of E. coli Endotoxin using Compressed CO2 and CO2-Based Mixtures. Poster presented at the USC School of Medicine Undergraduate Research Internship Program, Columbia SC. August 2007.
• Novel Processing of Materials for Improved Biocompatibility, Center for Fuel Cells Poster Presentations, Columbia SC. October 12, 2006.
• Transport of Explosive-Related Chemicals in Different Soils Under Variable Environmental Conditions, 25th Puerto Rico Interdisciplinary Scientific Meeting and 40th Junior Technical Meeting, UPR-Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, March 12, 2005.
• Transport of Landmine-Derived Chemicals in Different Soils Under Variable Environmental Conditions, Real Time Explosive Specific Chemical Sensors: in Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) Annual Meeting, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, October 3-4, 2004.
• Physical Modeling of Explosive Chemicals Diffusion In Soils Under Variable Environmental Conditions: in Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) Annual Meeting, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, October 3-4, 2004.
• Leachate Recirculation within the Landfill: in FoPER Symposium, Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, February, 1998.
• Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors of Puerto Rico (2000-present)
• Institute of Chemical Engineers of Puerto Rico (2000-present)
• American Institute of Chemical Engineers (1994-present)
• Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2007-2009)
• NSF- South Eastern Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Fellowship (2006)
• Honeywell Fellowship (2006)
• Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company Fellowship (1997-1999)
• Alliance for Minority Participation Scholarship (1995)